Lizzie Mabbott’s Aubergine, Potato & Peppers Braised in Oyster Sauce
Credit: Lee Kum Kee UK
- 1 Large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 Aubergine, chopped
- 1 Green pepper, deseeded and cut into large rough squares
- 1 Red pepper, deseeded and cut into large rough squares
- 5cm Piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Spring onions, whites cut into 2 inch pieces, and greens sliced finely
- 100ml + 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 200ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- A small handful Coriander, roughly chopped
- Steamed rice
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chilli Oil to serve (optional)
- Sauce Mix :
- 2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1). Heat 100ml cooking oil in a wok until sizzling but not smoking. Add the potato pieces and fry on a medium high heat until brown on each side (about 4 minutes). Place on a plate with a piece of kitchen towel.
- 2). Repeat with the aubergine, frying until brown (about 4 minutes) and place on a plate with a piece of kitchen towel. At this point, the aubergine may have soaked up all the oil, in which case add 1 Tbsp back into the wok.
- 3). Add the ginger, garlic and spring onion whites and stir-fry until fragrant, then add the peppers.
- 4). Add the Shaoxing rice wine and keep stir-frying for a minute, then add the potatoes and Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce, Lee Kum Kee Premium Light and Dark Soy Sauces, sugar and 200ml water. Over a medium heat, cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- 5). Add the aubergine and stir again, cook for a further 5 minutes on a lower heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally. If it is looking dry, add 25ml of water each time. The sauce should be glossy and thick, not watery.
- 6). When the potatoes are tender, remove from the heat and garnish with the spring onion greens and coriander.
- To Serve: Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chilli Oil (optional) and steamed rice.