Hakka Stuffed Tofu
Credit: Lee Kum Kee UK
- 500 grams Firm tofu
- 3 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce, to flavour
- 4 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Spring onion, finely sliced, to garnish
- A hand full Coriander, to garnish
- Stuffing :
- 100 grams Prawns, raw and minced up into a paste with a cleaver
- 100 grams Minced pork
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 Spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 knob Ginger, ½cm in length, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 1 pinch Ground white pepper
- A hand full Coriander, finely chopped
- 1). Knead all the stuffing ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- 2). To combine the stuffing well, scoop up the filling from the mixing bowl in a cupped hand and throw the mix back into the mixing bowl. This not only tenderises the meat, but will push any air out of the mix, creating a smooth texture when biting into the meat. Repeat this process 5–6 times, in order to tenderise the mix and combine well.
- 3). Slice the tofu into 4 x 4 x 2cm squares. Carefully scoop out a ‘crater’ in the middle of each square of tofu and lightly dust with cornflour(roughly a ¼ tsp of cornflour will be sufficient for each square).
- 4). Fill each tofu crater carefully with 1 heaped teaspoon of your stuffing mix. Any excess stuffing mix can be rolled into small meatballs and steamed alongside the tofu, so there is nothing wasted.
- 5). Set up a steamer over a pan of simmering water. Place the tofu squares on a heatproof plate or other surface that can fit into the steamer, then steam over a high heat for 10 minutes.
- 6). Once the tofu is cooked, heat the vegetable oil in a wok over a high heat and bring to smoking point. Once smoking hot, scatter the finely sliced spring onion and a little coriander onto the tofu squares and pour the hot oil over the top.
- 7). Season generously with the Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce and serve hot.
Products you will need
- Special Price £1.55 Regular Price £2.10