- 1). Mix prawns, salt, potato starch, mix until you have a sticky paste. Then add sugar, white pepper, chicken powder & sesame oil, combine well & set aside.
- 2). Mix wheat flour, potato starch, a pinch of salt & hot water, mix well. Allow to cool for 1 minute, then dump potato starch on a working surface and knead the dough on top of it, constantly scraping & mixing everything together until you have a smooth dough. Add the lard/oil and knead well, wrap in cling film to keep moist.
- 3). Tear off a golf ball sized piece, roll into a long strip, then chop a thumb sized piece & flatten with your palm. Grease the side of your knife with oil then press your knife against the dough creating a half moon shape, alternating from top to bottom until you have a thin circular shape.
- 4). Put a spoonful of the prawn mixture in the centre of the pastry and fold however you like (The easiest way is to fold in half, press the edges to seal, make a dent in the middle of the fold until the two ends meet then press them together, creating a shape similar to rosebud).
- 5). If you don't have a steamer bring a pan of water to a boil, put an empty basket in first then put the basket with the har gau on top. Steam for 5 minutes and serve with chilli oil or any condiment of your choice.