Rabbit Red Bean Buns
- 1). Mix all the dough ingredients in a bowl, knead with hand until combined. Cover the bowl with cling film & leave to set for 30 minutes.
- 2). Roll the dough into a long strip and divide into balls (however big you want your bao). Fold all the individuals dough corners to the centre, pinch the middle & turn the bao upside down. This helps smoth the surface of the bao.
- 3). Flatten the bao & use a rolling pin to flatten around the edges even more. Add a tsp amount of red bean paste to the centre of your bao, fold the edges all the way around & pinch the top.
- 4). Pinch one end gently to create a teardrop shape & put them straight into bamboo steamer. Leave to sit for 15 minutes before steaming.
- 5). If you don't have a steamer bring a pan of water to a boil, put an empty basket in first then put the basket with the bao buns on top.
- 6). After 6 minutes take your baos out and use a pair of scissors to cut 2 ears near the narrow end and a tail on the wide end. You can use food colouring or sesame seeds to make the eyes.
- Tips : With any spare dough you can make plain bao/wraps. Flatten the dough into elongated oval shape, lightly brush one side with oil, fold in half, place into bamboo steamer, leave for 15 minutes then steam for 3 minutes. You can add your own filling!